2" x 1" x 3/8" basswood
1' of 1/4" rope
See the Wood Carving section for more instructions, hints and tips.
- Get a 1' piece of 1/4" rope and tie it in a square knot for a go-by. Remember right over left and under; left over right and through.
- Note the diamond shape in the center of the knot.
- Layout the perimeter. The grain should run in the long dimension.
- Cut it out using a coping or scroll saw.
- Layout the interior on both the front and back.
- On both the front and back mark the places where the rope is on the bottom. You will remove this shaded wood.
- Make stop cuts along the lines that are going to be on top. These should be beside the areas that are shaded.
- Remove the shaded areas about 3/16" to the middle of the board. Re-do the stop cuts as necessary.
- Next make the transitions, where the rope goes from the front to the back or the back to the front.
- Now remove the diamond shaped hole in the center.
- Frequently check the go-by to make sure you are taking wood off in the proper places.
- Round the sides of the rope by first making a 45 degree cut and then half way on each side of that.
- Undercut or round the ropes where they cross and touch. This will give the impression that they are separate.
- Sand if desired.
- Seal with a clear finish. You can hang it on a paperclip or wire to dry.
- Pick the side you like the best and then glue a PVC ring with E-6000 to the back to complete the neckerchief slide.
Copyright © 2007 Vincent Hale